Friday, January 25, 2008

Feminism and Cultural Studies (Shiach)

This article presents an overview and introduction to what cultural studies entail. I found this to be a great starting point for me personally because I had not really explored cultural studies before. I took at Women in the Media course in my undegrad but it sort of skimmed through the basics of current issues. It was not strong in theory nor on how to apply what was learned in class. What I found interesting in Shiach's defintion of cultural studies is when she says that it (cultural studies) would not benefit from being 'disciplined' and that it is not based on a unique story but rather is defined through times, social and national contexts and history. The first idea that came to mind is how Women Studies and the "women's movement" falls into that same category (in my view of women studies and feminism.) Women's Studies does not come from one source, one story, one key definining historical movement I think. It does not mean the same thing in different parts of the world and changes through times and as political situations or cultural events take place. I have a hard time labelling Women Studies as a "discipline"; it feels like it is going against its grassroots. By disciplining itself I think it is trying to "fit in" within the academic world.

She also describes cultural studies as a source of change which can sometimes be threatening. In a sense, Women's Studies is also a place where change comes from and which is very often seen as threatening to those adhering to conservative views. Thus it makes complete sense that Shiach speaks of cultural studies in relations to feminism. In fact her main purpose in writing this introduction and chapters that make up the book is to recognize the force and variety of work that has been done by feminist critics working in the realm of cultural studies in the last twenty years.

She believes that the lack of recognition is that feminist foundations have never been strong enough to really engage with the theoritical models that cultural studies draws upon. (4) I am unsure if this is true however. I am not familiar enough (yet) with the relationship of feminism with cultural studies nor have a strong background in cultural studies to engage in this debate. My initial response would be that feminism is in fact strong enough but does not feel that it is. Because it more often than not has to prove itself in some way or another, feminism might have an inferiority complex and as a result does not feel that its foundation is strong enough. I think that as I go along with the readings, this discussion will be elaborated on in future posts.

No comments: